We all want that perfectly white smile. But achieving that dream look can be problematic for some. Before you start, there are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself in order to make sure you go about whitening your teeth properly. For example:
- Do you want to just whiten your teeth a few shades, or go for a dramatic bleaching treatment?
- Speaking of, did you know that there is a difference between the two?
- How much money are you willing to spend?
- Are you old enough?
- Do you have any medical conditions which might prevent you from doing so?
- Can your teeth even be whitened through traditional means?
Below, we’ll help you explore answers to these questions, as well as a few other tips and tricks that can help you get you the smile of your dreams.
To Bleach, or Not to Bleach
There is a very distinct difference between whitening your teeth, and bleaching them whiter. Depending on what condition your teeth are in, you may only need a simple whitening treatment – or you might require the help of a professional.
Teeth Bleaching can either be done by a dentist in-office, or performed at home with a professional strength bleaching kit which you must purchase from your dentist (and it isn’t uncommon to schedule follow-up visits). Bleaching is generally more expensive than whitening, too. Bleaching treatments from your dentist can start in the low-hundreds, and in-office bleachings can escalate into the thousands if you require multiple visits. With bleaching, the agent used is usually a highly concentrated form of hydrogen peroxide. Most drug store treatments are only 3%, whereas professional bleaching agents start at 15%, and may go as high as 40% or more.
Teeth Whitening, on the other hand, is what happens when you are just trying to brighten your smile on your own (without the supervision or help of a dentist). Whitening is usually less effective, since most drug store kits can only whiten your teeth by about 2-3 shades. But on the bright side, they are much less expensive than bleaching. Another added bonus is that because the whitening agent is less potent, there is a lower risk of pain and tooth sensitivity associated with over-the-counter kits.
Who Should (and Shouldn’t) be Whitening their Teeth
Teeth whitening isn’t for everybody. In fact, there are certain types of people who won’t be able to change the color of their enamel with whitening or bleaching treatments alone. Then there are others who shouldn’t try, for medical reasons. For example:
- Teenagers and pregnant women – Until you’re at least 16 years old, your enamel is very porous and you risk exposing the sensitive root of your teeth to the harsh chemicals. Therefore, most dentists advise that teenagers stay away from bleaching/whitening kits. Pregnant women should wait also, because medical professionals aren’t sure whether the chemicals used will hurt the baby or not (and it’s probably best to err on the side of caution).
- People with severe oral problems – softening enamel, cavities, receding gums, and other such conditions should be fixed by a dentist before you try to whiten or bleach your teeth. At the very least, wait until your dentist tells you that it’s okay. If you are unsure, schedule an appointment or call the office and ask for their advice.
- People with unusual stains – if your teeth are yellowish or brownish, they will respond the most favorably to whitening. For everyone else, however, it can be more difficult to remove stains and get that perfectly white smile. Gray, blue, and purple stains are some of the most difficult to eliminate, and you will likely require the help of a professional to restore your natural enamel color. For really stubborn stains, you may require crowns, bonding, or veneers.
The Best Teeth Whitening Solution: Idol White
As you can see, getting your teeth professionally whitened can be a time-consuming, expensive hassle. So why go that route? There are other options. And one of the safest, cost-effective, and most effective options is Idol White. Idol White is a system of teeth whitening pens that won’t just give you the smile of an idol; their endorsed by idols themselves! The Kardashian sisters, trailblazers of fashion and beauty, wholeheartedly endorse Idol White for getting rid of the yellow stains which can ruin a beautiful smile. If you hurry, you can take advantage of their limited time “buy one get one free” offer for new customers.